I am back and I am going to share my hair smoothening experience with you all today. When I wanted to get a hair treatment done, I found it extremely difficult in searching for a balanced post detailing the after-math effects.
I went ahead and got a smoothening treatment done in December 2013. I did it at a reputed salon after doing lot of research and the brand which was used was L’Oreal. In hair smoothening, they leave the product for a lesser time compared to hair straightening. I opted for smoothening as I don’t like the poker straight hair. But the result was poker straight for the initial few months. L
I am not going to delve much on the procedure as we all know about it. I am going to speak more about the aftermath.
I am not supposed to pin, tuck or tie my hair for the three days after which I will be given a hair wash and conditioning treatment by the salon. So, i got the treatment done during the holidays.
Let me start with what i liked about my smoothened hair.
- My hair looked longer, shinier and with the density of hair I had, it was the most glorious moment of my life. It looked as if I walked out of a shampoo commercial.
- Grooming my hair took hardly 10 minutes. No more fizz and unruly hair.
- As I have mild wavy hair, the re-growth did not look bad. It looked very natural.
And now, to the Dislikes
- The time chosen by me for getting the treatment done was not the best one. December to May was quite hectic. Lots of meetings and I had to work on weekends too. I had very hard time trying to keep up with my hair spa appointments.
- Shampoo which was suggested to me was out of stock for most of the time. At one point, i had to order three bottles from Nykaa as none of the websites were stocking it up.
- I started suffering from hair breakage and loss since April. My hair got tangled more frequently and my efforts to untangle them resulted in hair breakage. After June, I started oiling my hair and now the hair fall is slowly getting normal.
- I also had my exams in June, I did not take hair spa properly and there was a dearth of shampoo so, I cannot point out the cause of hair fall. The hair fall is not noticeable. But yes I did suffer abnormal hair fall.
So, going by my experience, I would suggest a chemical hair treatment to you,
* If you have money to devote for your hair care. It is not like a onetime MAC haul. It is an every month commitment involving, in my case Rs. 4000/- for the hair spa and products.
* If you have the time to devote to your hair care. Again, it is not a onetime thing but every month you need to spend at least 2 hours at the salon to get your hair spa done. This was the biggest problem in my case. I cancelled appointments thrice before getting a spa done in March. It got so frustrating and difficult.
* If you have thick and healthy hair to withstand hair loss and thinning (if any).
* If you don’t mind letting your hair loose all the time. I am a South Indian. During some pooja or functions, my mum asks me to braid my hair. I found it extremely difficult to braid my hair. The braid keeps coming off and did not look good.
* If you are 100% sure that you won’t be missing your wavy/curly hair. I started missing my wavy hair. It used to look so lush and I was able to do any kind of hair styles with it. But now, I am not able to curl my hair as the curl does not stay put. L
- Do lot of research before finalizing the salon. A very reputed salon will have a lousy branch and vice-versa.
- Researching does not mean listening to the various sob stories about hair loss and part of hair falling off on the very same day. Everyone's hair is different. So what happened to them need not happen to you. It is okay to ask about experiences but never come to a conclusion before talking to a qualified stylist or the person you trust. If you are unsure, don't do it.
- Let the stylist know about your hair owes and explain what exactly you want even if it sounds dumb. After all it is your hair.
- If you have thin dry hair, don't try any such treatments. I am sure the stylist will say the same. Your hair needs considerable health to withstand the chemicals.
- Go prepared, take a story book, water bottle and some chocolates. Trust me, it takes more time that the Femina’s can fill. Don't keep any other appointments on that day.
- The salon shampoos are quite hard to find. So if they are in stock, better stock it up.
- If you live in a hot and humid place like Chennai, better take up the treatment on cooler months so that you will not feel the need to dunk your head in water all the time. They suggest washing hair once in 3 or more days.
- With a straight smooth hair, you cannot do some hair dos like you used to. So keep that in mind.
- Follow what the stylist says. Take care of your overall health and use a nourishing hair mask every week.
Final words: I will not be taking up any more chemical hair treatments. But, I don’t regret doing it. I have had my share of flaunting poker straight smooth hair. After all, we all have one life. Do what you want to but exercise due caution. J
Hope you found this post useful. Do share your hair experiments in the comments below. I would love to read them.